Community Star Wars celebration and Institute interactive tour featured as part of 2016 Las Vegas Science and Technology Festival
LAS VEGAS – Media are invited to attend a special event on Wednesday, May 4th, 2016 hosted by the Desert Research Institute and The National Atomic Testing Museum at 755 East Flamingo Road in Las Vegas.
DRI’s GreenPower K-12 Outreach Program and the National Atomic Testing Museum are partnering to present “May Science Be With You”, a free special event featured as part of the 2016 Las Vegas Science & Technology Festival. Join us for interactive science presentations, hands-on activities for all ages, DRI laboratory tours, food trucks, and a special appearance from the 501st Legion Star Wars Characters and performances from the Light Saber Guild.
Beginning at 5:30 p.m. officials from Clark County School District (CCSD) will announce the winners of the national Student Spaceflight Experiments Program (SSEP). Fifth-grade students from seven CCSD schools are competing for the chance to be one of 12 nationally selected experiments that astronauts will utilize on the International Space Station later this year. CCSD Coordinator Cheryl Wagner and NASA Director for the International Space Station, San Scimemi will be on-hand to present the awards.
Creech Air Force Base 432nd Wing and 432nd Air Expeditionary Group will also be on hand to showcase the latest in unmanned aircraft systems technology.
- When: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 Time: 4:00 – 8:00 PM
- Where: Desert Research Institute (755 E. Flamingo Rd. Las Vegas, NV 89119)
- Who: Desert Research Institute and The National Atomic Testing Museum
- Interview Opportunities:
- Dr. Stephen G. Wells, DRI President
- San Scimemi, NASA Director for the International Space Station
- DRI research faculty - including Dr. Lynn Fenstermaker, Project Director for Nevada’s NASA EPSCoR and Space Grant Programs
- Craig Rosen, DRI GreenPower K-12 Outreach Program Education Administrator
- Clark County School District teachers and students
- Photo and Video Opportunities: 501st Legion Star Wars Characters and performances from the Light Saber Guild, hands-on STEM activities and public engagement with science in DRI laboratories and facilities
Event information is available online at - http://greenpower.dri.edu/events/item/5049-may-science-be-with-you
For more information about the Las Vegas Science and Technology Festival visit - http://scifest.vegas/
DRI, the nonprofit research campus of the Nevada System of Higher Education, is a world leader in environmental sciences through the application of knowledge and technologies to improve people’s lives throughout Nevada and the world. For more information, visit www.dri.edu
GreenPower supports Nevada’s preK-12 educators in science-based environmental education by providing free tools, resources, and knowledge. As advocates for science based environmental education GreenPower aims to increase scientific knowledge and understanding of the earth’s environment, promoting preservation of diverse ecosystems, advancing responsible resource management, and improving human health and welfare. For more information visit http://greenpower.dri.edu/
Justin Broglio, DRI Communications Officer
Ph: (702) 862-5411