GreenPower conducts education and outreach for the Desert Research Institute, a global scientific research and development institute under the Nevada System of Higher Education. The mission of GreenPower is to support Nevada’s pre-K-12 educators in science-based, environmental education by providing the tools, resources, and knowledge they need, so all students acquire the knowledge and skills needed to work, live and contribute in our community. GreenPower achieves our mission by providing inquiry based STEM Curriculum through our Green Boxes, offering Teacher Trainings and Workshops throughout the school year, and through School Support in the form of speakers, field trips, and special opportunities.
Since its inception in 2000, GreenPower has been the education and outreach program for the Desert Research Institute. Back in 2000, GreenPower focused mainly on renewable energy and conservation education and partner primarily with NV Energy and was funded by the generosity of customers who voluntarily add a few dollars each month to their NV Energy electric bill, 100% of the tax-deductible donations support renewable energy education for Nevada’s students.
Today, GreenPower has expanded their scope to focus on supporting Nevada’s preK-12 educators in science-based, environmental education by providing the tools, resources, and knowledge they need, so all students acquire the knowledge and skills needed to work, live and contribute in our community.
We aim to increase scientific knowledge and understanding of the earth's environment, promoting preservation of diverse ecosystems, advancing responsible resource management, and improving human health and welfare. NV Energy continues to be a primer sponsor of GreenPower as well as many more sponsors and supporters, which you can find listed here.
- All students can learn and deserve an effective teacher.
- Every teacher deserves to have access to free curriculum and materials that are aligned to the current educational standards.
- Educators training fellow educators builds capacity, professionalism, and perspective.
- Sharing resources and engaging partners builds opportunity, ownership, and expertise.
Who We Serve
We serve schools in every county across the state of Nevada by providing their teachers with free professional development or access to our Green Box program. At the start of 2015, we have served over 400 schools in Nevada (public, private, charter, or homeschool). Currently, 75% of the school we serve are Title One schools, which are schools that receive federal assistance to close the achievement gap between low-income students and other students. Ove 50% of the students we reach are on federal assisted free and reduced lunch program (FRL) because of the their low-income status, and almost 20% are second language English learners (ELL).
GreenPower Awards and Honors
- 2013 USGBC Nevada LEEDership award presented for outstanding educational organization
- Las Vegas Review Journal “Best Green Nonprofit” 2013
- Golden Pinecone Award 2013- Fayth Ross GreenPower Coordinator for Northern Nevada
- Southern Nevada Science and Math Teacher Association “Friend of Science”- Amelia Gulling, GreenPower Program Administrator
- 2012 Amazing Individual Award, The Nature Conservancy and USGBC- Amelia Gulling, GreenPower Program Administrator
- “Community Partnership” Award from Bridger Middle School 2010-2011